Thursday, March 12, 2015

Raw, Vegan, Tahur


About a year or so ago, a few of my sisters and I embarked on a raw food journey.  On this journey we would eat raw, stay vegan, and make sure all of our food was tahur and in line with Scripture.  We decided to eat raw or at least 80% raw, for thirty days.  Some of us made it, and others did not. 

On the raw “diet”, I noticed several things right away.  My mental clarity increased, my energy level increased, my irritability decreased, and I slept better.  I can honestly say that my overall mood was on a higher plane.

Based on what I experienced in regard to my health, I decided to stick to a raw, vegan, and tahur “diet” after the 30 days, and saw great improvement in my health. 
 
I have been vegan for about 4 years and eating tahur that entire time.  Eating according to the Word saw me lose 25 lbs and increase my strength, energy, and quality of life.  I had suffered from migraines for years.  Gone!  I also suffered severe allergies.  Gone!  I went without a cold or sinus infection for over two years. 
 
But what has been incredible, is that during the time I decided to eat 80% raw,  a blood illness that I had been suffering from which had left me extremely fatigued, prone to bruising, and sick all the time disappeared.  I mean it was GONE!!!  In addition to changing how I was eating as well as what I was eating, I supplemented with a natural vegan B12 and a D3 made from lanolin.  I wasn’t exercising at all during this time, yet my health became better, and stayed that way. 
 
At least it did, until I started eating more cooked foods.

I noticed in the past few months, that the fatigue, bloat, irritability, as well as the inability to lose weight all came roaring back.  I immediately started getting headaches, and suffered a sinus infection.  Folks try and tell me that it was stress or changes in the weather.  But I know better. 

 So, I am returning to the raw food way of eating.  I realize that just like being vegan, raw food living is a lifestyle.  It is not a diet nor is it part of a weight loss plan.  Eating raw foods means just that, eating food as close to its natural raw state as possible.  Now I know that some raw foodies will eat food cooked to a temperature of about 104 degrees or less.  And there are certain foods that actually have an increase in their nutrient level when cooked slightly, such as spinach.  However, making sure you’re not cooking food at temps higher than 104 degrees is difficult, to say the least. 

 What I did during my year of eating raw, was I searched foods that would be nutritionally enhanced by being sautéed or lightly steamed.  I also learned how to freeze fruits and veggies without blanching them first.  Although blanching requires a short cooking time, the heat is boiling and temperatures are well over 104 degrees.  With blanching, you also have to quickly immerse the food in ice cold water, in order to stop the cooking process.  This alters the nutrient structure of the food.  I'm not totally against blanching, however I do encourage all to keep the nutrients in your food as intact as possible.
 
When freezing my fruits and plant foods, I try to freeze food as quickly as possible after picking them.  If I am unable to self pick, I try to purchase these foods at farmers markets, or at natural produce stores that sell mostly local produce.  I look at all labels and try not to ever purchase fruits or plant foods that come from distant places.  My only exception is organic frozen mango and sometimes organic frozen pineapple.  I buy only non-gmo produce and read the labels to see if the producer freezes them as soon as possible after picking.  I understand well that when it comes to plant foods, most are blanched before freezing, so I rarely purchase frozen plant foods.  Sticking almost entirely to the frozen mango and pineapple.  During season, I try and go to the local farms and pick the rest of my fruit for freezing for the long season without fruit harvest in the Pacific Northwest.  Otherwise, I am not fond of eating fruits or plant foods that are not in season. 

Anyway, some time ago, I had embarked on a journey to develop a recipe book based on clean, vegan dishes that were tasty and good for the mind, body, and soul.  My recent decision to return to raw living food has changed that plan.   Currently, I am endeavoring to develop as many great tasting raw food recipes as possible.  Until then, I encourage you to learn what it means to sprout your beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and plant foods.  Learn why nuts, seeds, and legumes should be soaked prior to eating.  Discover for yourself, how easy, nutritious, and delicious raw food living truly is.

Alykham Shalum,

Tamar

No comments:

Post a Comment