Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How Many Times Per Day Should We Eat???


We all like to snack.  In fact, our bodies are not designed to go long periods of time without food, especially if we are active.  This is what causes that feeling of hunger in between meals. 

Most dieticians tell their clients to eat three meals with two snacks in between.  But what usually happens when a person does this, is they tend to over eat during those three larger meals, because their “snacks” are insignificant, and they go too long without fuel.  This causes them to feel hungrier than what they should. Usually, those snacks are also not very healthy, and are laden with sugar and salt, and are overly processed.

At least six “meals” per day, (and sometimes seven depending on your schedule) is really what is needed to give the body enough fuel to make it through the day and keep the metabolism going.  Every meal should be eaten, after drinking at least one glass of water or tea.  This helps to create a fuller stomach, so that the tendency to overeat does not occur. 

Six to seven meals?  Yes.  Sounds like a lot, but it isn’t.  It might require more preparation, but eating less, more times per day, actually fuels your body, increases your metabolism, and helps you to think and function better.

So, how do you do it? 

I for one, am not big on breakfast foods.  In fact, for most people eating a tahur diet there isn’t much besides ancient grain pancakes and waffles and muffins, fruit, or porridge, that would probably be considered normal breakfast foods. 

What I actually like to do, is have dinner for breakfast.  Yes, dinner.   I save portions of my dinner meal, and eat that for breakfast.  Breakfast and Dinner for me are the most well rounded meals of the day.  What I mean by this, is that these are the meals where I am guaranteed to eat a well-balanced portion from the food groups that will give me the most nutrients.  So I have a healthy portion of vegetables, usually leafy greens.  I also have the appropriate sized amount of grains, and then beans or lentils or some other vegetable as my protein source. 

So, what about those six to seven meals you’re probably asking…  well here goes…

1)      Breakfast:  A combination word which literally means to break the fast, is the meal eaten in the morning, after waking, and is the first meal of the day.  (Eaten first thing in the morning, usually within the first thirty minutes to an hour upon waking to maximize the benefits of getting your metabolism kick started)

2)      Snack:  A small share or portion of food or drink or a light meal, especially one eaten between regular meals.  (If breakfast occurs between the hours of 5 to 7, you should be ready for your first snack of the day around 9 or 9:30)

3)      Lunch: A light midday meal  (should be eaten around 11:30 or 12, but no later than 1)

4)      Snack: A small share or portion of food or drink or a light meal, especially one eaten between regular meals.  (this midday snack should be eaten around 3pm.   Right before going home to prepare dinner)

5)      Dinner: What many consider the main meal of the day, supposed to be eaten around midday  (this meal should be eaten between 5 and 6, but no later than 7pm)

6)      Supper:  an evening meal, typically a light or informal one.  (this very light meal should be eaten no later than 9pm, as you are usually preparing for bed, and should not lay down until for at least thirty minutes after eating)

7)      Snack:  A small share or portion of food or drink or a light meal, especially one eaten between regular meals.  (this is a very late night snack, and should be very light, or just simply water or tea without sugar, and eaten two to three hours after supper but at least thirty minutes before going to bed)

As you can see it is quite possible, with careful planning, to eat seven times per day.  And the way to make this easiest, is to plan your meals ahead of time.  

Looking at the above definitions, with the exception of Breakfast and Dinner, all these meals are light meals.   Your snacks should be very simple, such as a serving of fruit or vegetables, or a glass of water or sugarless tea.  I’ve discovered popped sorghum, and it is delicious.  Because of all the crazy stuff going on with corn, popped corn is the absolute last thing I would eat as a snack.  Your lunch should also be simple fair.  A smaller serving of the types of food you would have for dinner.  So if you are eating a huge salad during lunch, believing that you are eating healthy, chances are, you meal is too heavy, and probably not well balanced.  Dinner should be a healthy meal, full of nutrition.  Look at the vegan plate attached to see what a well-balanced dinner plate should look like.  I try to make enough dinner for enough left-overs, to make appropriate sized meals for breakfast and maybe lunch the next day.  Supper is not dinner and should not consist of the same portions as dinner. Instead, Supper should be a light meal.  Just a bit heavier than a snack, but less than lunch.  For me, the perfect supper is a muffin and some fruit, or hummus and a piece of flat bread and a glass of tea, or an 8oz smoothie.  If I am staying up late, I will snack on something light, and have a glass of water.  This usually causes me to get up later for a trip to the bathroom…  Smile

So, there you have it.  Eat more times, but less food, to stay fit and healthy, and keep your metabolism revved up…  

Pray you found this helpful… 


Shalum.   

6 comments:

  1. I love this post ! I have been having dinner for breakfast for my whole life! I find now a days I favor smaller meals. Back in the day we'd get these humongous plates, with 4 cups of rice ...to start! In the early days when I first met my mister, one day, he was cooking fish and dumplings (Jamaican)... for us...He made 14 dumplings and asked me how many I was going to eat. I said 7.....He was quite impressed. I ate my 7 dumplings too! Most girls would pretend that they could not eat a thing.It was one of the things that endeared me to him .... HAHA! And he loves to feed me...cooks all the time...smile...but I digress....Yes... I LIKE this post. I would eat this way...many small meals...some days I do this, but I am not following that plan regularly. Perhaps I will make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling.... My appetite is what endured me to my mister also... And 35 lbs later I'm now trying to eat my way back to health...

      Delete
  2. I am exhausted and famished! I had to retype comment and create a Google account SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!!! But it was worth it ! Now I need supper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh supper.... I think I'm actually having a mango smoothie for that tonight... Hope you enjoy yours. Shalum!

      Delete
  3. OOOOOH!!! I am going to try the popping sorghum. Thank you for sharing that info. I hate GMO corn :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to be reading your blog, sisty. keep it up! it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete